Thursday 27 November 2014

Mean Merridew


Ralph, Piggy, and myself discovered a beautiful conch shell. We stood in what I believed was the center of the island. Ralph blew the conch, and from east to west, it boomed through the island.        

"I bet you can hear that for miles." Ralph spoke, out of breath, and before I could open my mouth to reply to him, the flood occurred. From different directions, small groups of boys slowly came walking towards the center, their clothes ripped and torn. The youngest were about 6, and you could see the tear stains on their cheeks.  

There weren't many of us, but I never expected there to be this many survivors. Ralph stood on the platform, conch shell in hand, preparing to start the meeting. Piggy, right next to him, looking around with an expression of confusion, joy, and relief. Soon, a group of boys, in black cloaks, walked in led by the savage. The savage named Jack Merridew. They walked in unison, side by side. 

Jack walked right up to Ralph, as I went along to help Piggy get  the names of the other boys. I was the only girl. I listened to Ralph and Jack's conversation. Ralph asked about the man with the trumpet, and Jack told him that he was no more. Then Jack asked about a ship, and Ralph told him no. 
As the meeting went on, a point was made that we needed a chief. It was either Jack or Ralph, so I'm pretty sure you already know who I voted for. Ralph. The littluns too, they voted for the one with the conch shells. So from then on, Ralph was chief 

Ralph gave jack control over his choir boys. They became the Hunters. Ralph wasn't wasn't quite sure about the rest of the island, so he decided to go on an expedition. He took Jack and Simon along with him, though Piggy offered to go, Ralph tried to explain that this wasn't the right job for him, while Jack just shot him down. He said they didn't want Piggy and that three was enough. I scoffed at his rude behavior. I tried to convince Piggy to stay put, and help me with the littleuns. Typical guys, thinking that being with children is a girl's job. Piggy didn't listen, and went after them. At this point, I couldn't be bothered, so I went off and tried to talk to some of the littleuns. When he came back, his face was red with humiliation.  

No comments:

Post a Comment